In 2010, the city of Buenos Aires officialized a “Museums Mile”. It is a cultural tour that includes 16 museums in a 40 blocks radius. It goes through touristic neighborhoods of Palermo, Recoleta and Retiro.
Buenos Aires Museums Mile: Itinerary
You can go over this cultural itinerary by foot, bike or touristic bus. If you want to see all of the museums, you will need 3 days. You may also take the whole tour in one day, selecting two or three museums.
The itineraries will show you through Bosques de Palermo (Palermo Woods) and important avenues: Avenida del Libertador and Avenida Figueroa Alcorta. You will pass by Recoleta Cemetary. You will eventually arrive to beautiful Plaza San Martín. There are bike paths along almost the whole itinerary.
Buenos Aires Museums Mile: Our recommendations
If you do not wish to visit all 16 museums, we suggest you limit your visit to the following 5. See the complete list of museums in the next paragraph.
- Museo de Artes Plásticas Eduardo Sivori (Bosques de Palermo)From Palo Santo Hotel, start with Museo Sívori. It is loated in Bosques de Palermo. Then head south towards Plaza San Martin.
Museo Sivori is a nice small museum just next to the rose garden. A short visit will allow you to discover Argentinean art from the 19th and 20th century.
MALBA is one of the most important Buenos Aires museums. It opened its doors in 2001. The permanent collection presents more than five hundred pieces including paintings, drawing and sculptures. It showcases artists from Argentina, Brazil, Colombia and México, among other countries.
- Museo Nacional de Bella Artes
The museum shows a beautiful collection of 19th and 20th century European art. It is considered to be the most important collection in South America. You will discover artists such as Tintoretto, Rembrandt, Goya, Courbet, Manet and Van Gogh. Do not miss Rodin’s sculptures.
- Centro Cultural Recoleta
Recoleta Cultural Centre sometimes host interesting contemporary art exhibitions. Entrance is free so just take a look. It is just next to Recoleta Cemetery.
- Museo de Arte Hispanoamericano Fernandez Blanco
The building itself is quite interesting as an example of neocolonial architecture. Wonderful gardens. The museums presents a good collection of native craft and colonial art, as well as decorative art from the 18th and 19th century.
Buenos Aires Museums Mile: the complete list of museums
The Museums Mile complete tour includes 16 museums:
- Torre Monumental (also known as Torre de los Ingleses)
- Museo de Arte Hispanoamericano Isaac Fernández Blanco
- Museo Nacional Ferroviario Raúl Scalabrini Ortiz
- MARQ Museo de Arquitectura y Diseño de la Sociedad Central de Arquitectos
- Palais de Glace
- Centro Cultural Recoleta
- Paseo de las Esculturas
- Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
- Museo del Automóvil Club Argentino
- Museo Nacional de Arte Decorativo
- Museo de Arte Popular José Hernández
- Museo Metropolitano
- MALBA Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires
- Museo Evita
- Museo del Planetario de Buenos Aires Galileo Galilei
- Museo de Artes Plásticas Eduardo Sívori
Our top-5 selection of museums in Buenos Aires
All our posts in the Culture category
Buenos Aires Museums Mile Official website: http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/cultura/millamuseos/